If you’re like most people, you’re expecting to read about an exercise that will help you be more relaxed when you speak in front of a group, or an exercise to structure a talk. Actually, the message is that WOW presenters exercise.
Yes, they get physical exercise on a regular basis, maybe even as often as every day. It doesn’t have to be a work-out with a personal trainer, it does have to involve movement for at least 20 minutes, 30 minutes or more is much better.
The relationship between physical exercise and presentation WOW:
1. Regular exercise makes you more energetic. Succeeding at anything takes energy — so you want to have as much energy as you can.
2. Exercise makes you more creative. Your creativity helps your presentation in all kinds of ways — making interesting and compelling connections to delight and engage your audience.
3. Exercise keeps you in a better humor. Your good feelings are contagious.
4. Exercise exorcises stress. Stress is just plain bad for you, especially when you’re speaking before a group.
5. Your preferred exercise gives you something to talk about and establish connection with new people.
Schedule in your exercise, without being all overbearing about it. Walking at lunch is fine. Skydiving sounds like fun, but awfully complicated. I have information on belly dancing in Greenville, if anyone’s game.