19 Things My Stylist Taught Me About Looking Fantastique
What???? Style advice at Mixonian Institute? Well, only because it's fun and fun. Plus looking good is a big part of projecting confidence. However, you should know is that I recently learned that lots of fashionable folk use stylists to keep them so stylish. Who knew? What a cool way to shop -- I'm lucky to have a chic sister who saves me from acute dowdiness. A few months ago a student introduced me to the oh-so-fashionable Rachel Zoe, who happens to be a leading stylist in LA. Here are some great tips from her book. Style A to Zoe, The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour.
1. Living with style and glamour makes life more exciting, engaging and in Zoe's word, electrifying.
2. Accessories are more important than the clothes. (This was huge for me.)
3. Accessories don't have to be expensive or new to do their job.
4. Aim for 1 or 2 WOW pieces. That's a great way to ramp up your white t-shirt and jeans -- could be the shoes, a scarf, a jacket, or jewelry..
5. Put your clothes money into shoes. The quality of your shoes makes the rest seem to be of the same quality. Now, how's that for some good news?
6. The Jimmy Choo company was founded by and is led by, not Jimmy Choo, but Tamara Mellon. Did you know that?
7. Zoe is a huge fan of Chanel lipstick. Ha! (Read about Mixonian and Chanel here.)
8. Showing up at any event looking a bit more glam than everyone else....is a wonderful thing.
9. Celebrities often use slimmers under their gowns, even when they don't need them, because wearing one makes them feel more secure. Spanx, anyone?
10. I know you know this, but Zoe agrees that showing too much skin is tacky.
11. Dressing like a precocious grown-up is the most seductive.
12. Try leopard accessories. But not too many at the same time.
13. Even stylist Zoe employs a work uniform. Make life easy on yourself.
14. One easy way to spruce up your look is to have your eye brows professionally groomed. (Most manicure places do this and so does Ulta.)
15. Make sure you're drinking lots of water.
16. Clip magazine and catalog pictures of clothes and accessories you like to hone your personal style. (I glue mine into my journal.)
17. Don't be afraid to borrow elements from your favorite style icons. (I did this when I got my hair done for my wedding. I asked for Breakfast at Tiffany's. I felt totally glamorous!!)
18. If you don't love something, especially if it doesn't fit well, or look great on you, get rid of it!
19. It's when we allow ourselves to dream that we can create a better reality for ourselves -- a better career, a better home, even better memories because we tried a little harder in the manner we entertained our friends or because we took the cheap red-eye to visit family (116).
Zoe's book has great photos as well. We're so inspired Mixonian Institute has decided to host a virtual accessory event soon with Atlanta stylist, Lauren Lefebvre..
Got any style tips of your own to share?