Seth Godin once wrote to me, “The goal, no matter what you sell, is to be seen as irreplaceable, essential and priceless” And I’m like, “Okay, buddy, that sounds great, but how do I actually do that?” and he responds, “Of course, the realization of what it takes to create value might break your heart, because it means you have to specialize, take risks, create art, leave a positive impact and adopt generosity in all you do. It means you have to develop extraordinary expertise and that you are almost always hanging way out of the boat, about to fall out.”
Oh. Is that all?
At first, I’m overwhelmed, convinced he’s asking me to do the impossible. So I went for a walk.
An hour later, I’m sweaty and a bit less confused.
Here is what we all can do to be perceived as Irreplaceable, Essential and Priceless:
1. Commit to BE Irreplaceable, Essential and Priceless.
Being and being perceived as are two different species, but in my world, BEING comes before Being Perceived As.
In other words, you want to WANT TO offer incredible value, to make a unique contribution. And you commit to that.
2. Realize that you’re not going to be, nor do you want to be, Irreplaceable, Essential and Priceless to everyone. Just to the people who matter the most, your peeps.
3.Put one foot in front of the other.
In other words, Rome is still not being built in a day. If you’re creating something, there are times of overwhelm and times when you don’t know what to do. Regardless, it’s still one foot in front of the other.
Take what seems to be the obvious step, or do the thing that seems appropriate, even if you’re not sure.
The good news is….you don’t have to know HOW to be perceived as Irreplacealbe, Essential and Priceless. The answer will emerge on its own as you:
– specialize by combining your interests
– take risks and keep playing
– create art, meaning polish your unique take on things
– leave a positive impact on those around you by uncovering opportunities
– adopt generosity in sharing and encouraging
– develop extraordinary expertise through commitment
– communicate with an edge
Let me know how it goes. We can share notes along the way.