Language isn’t just for describing; your words are your power tools for building whatever you wish. A lot of us get paid for our effective conversations, those that lead to actions in a specific direction. Here are just a few of things you can build using words,
27 things you can build with words:
1. A marriage. If you’re married, it’s because a conversation took place. (I think I put this first because yesterday Ruben and I celebrated 2.5 years of being married!)
2. A civil-rights movement. (Listen to Dr. King here.)
3. The exchange of goods and services for money. AKA "a sale."
4. A strike in a baseball game. (Ask any umpire.)
5. A vision of what’s possible for someone.
6. A tribe. (Listen to Seth Godin here.)
7. An event….any event.
8. A job promotion.
9. A mood….for you, another, or a group of people.
10. A political revolution. (I’ll be happy to lend you a copy of my dissertation about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and his revolution.
11. A public identity for an organization. (This is what your marketing department does.)
"Organizations are linguistic structures built out of words and maintained by conversations. Even problems that aren’t strictly communicational — failures of mechanical systems, for example — can be explored in terms of things said and not said, questions asked and not asked, conversations never begun or left uncompleted, alternate explanations not discussed." Walter Truett Anderson, Reality Isn’t What It Used To Be.
12. Your own public identity.
13. Innovation. (When did people start talking about taking pictures with their phones?)
14. A new job.
16. A friendship.
17. A team.
18. A movie.
19. A paradigm.
20. A commitment.
21. A standard of behavior or performance.
22. Engagement in a project.
23. A different level of productivity.
24. A business.
25. An orchestra.
Conversely, you can get over something, or move on from an unpleasant situation when you STOP having certain conversations.
You can also destroy any of the above using different words.
You always have a choice with how to use your words. What do you like to build? Feel free to add to this list.