An excellent communicator leaves people feeling better after they’ve interacted with you than they felt before, includes no fake-ness and gets the message across at the right moment (or nearly so).
Most organizations ignore communication but you, Smart One, can “overmanage” your communication to come ahead.
You may have your own communication values but at Mixonian Institute, we’re into Brevity, Clarity and Compassion.
If you communicate better, your career (and life!) cannot help but move you forward. Here’s how it happens:
1. People trust you more.
So when you ask for a new responsibility/project, you’re more likely to get it. With trust, everything is easier.
2. When a new leader is needed, your face pops into people’s minds.
(That’s because they know you, they like you, they trust you.)
3. You gain time from the loss of email (and other) drama.
4. You have the confidence to embark upon bigger, more lucrative projects.
When people respond to you more positively, you feel more confident.
5. You take better care of yourself.
You have to, or you won’t be able to get it all done.
6. You save money by not needing anti-depressants.
7. You save time by getting your message across more succinctly.
(You not only save yourself time but others love your respect for their own time!)
Brevity is sexy.
8. You can work with more people at a time.
(Working with more people means your results are bigger and worth more $$.)
9. You command more money for your work.
You have the evidence that you’re worth it and the confidence to ask for it.
10. You feel more energized.
Savvy communication is part of a virtuous energy cycle. Worrying about how to say something (or what you said) leaks your mojo.
11. You listen more effectively so you understand your clients/colleagues much better.
Everyone craves being listened to….and appreciated!
You also learn more.
12. You establish rapport with others faster.
(And thus your network grows!)
13. More people want to meet you.
(Cuz they’ve heard about you from others!)
Got something to add to the list? Share how communication is your superpower by commenting below!