Hey! Did you read about 2015 being “The Year of the Introverted Executive.” Isn’t that cool? That’s a major announcement at Mixonian for 2o15 (but not the only offering!). Amid this never-ending
obsession project of cultivating passionate and elegant communication in our business community, I’m especially devoted to the quieter half of our leadership.
(Between you and me, I don’t think many flaming extroverts read this blog anyway.)
But word did get out and I’d like to share a couple of reactions from a couple of dear extroverted pals:
“I just don’t understand why they don’t want to come out of their shells!”
Answer: We like our shells and they’re great places to think.
“Do you think any executive will admit to being an introvert?”
Answer: Introversion is a gift, not a condition to overcome.
Too funny. Typical extroverted point of view. Gotta smile.
In any case, this is such a wonderful (quiet) time of the year. Here’s a list of 15 things I wish for you, whether you’re a chatter box, on the quiet side, or my personal fave, a closet introvert. (Read this if you don’t know what a closet introvert is.)
1. May your emails be short, elegant and concise. (Here’s Write Emails that Get Read you may like.)
2. May your presentations share the real you in a pithy and organized format. (You may enjoy 7 Steps to a High-Impact Presentation.)
3. May you feel real enthusiasm for the gift of life, even on Mondays. (For help with this read 9 Things to Keep your Energy Insanely Positive.)
4. May you consistently end your meetings ahead of schedule, thus being generous with the gift of time.
5. May you be brave enough to schedule meetings with yourself, and to honor them.
6. May you enjoy yummy lunches even when you’re terrifyingly busy.
7. May you laugh at least 8 times each day.
8. May you be such the encourager that some folks think you’re slightly mad.
9. May you get a photo that’s worthy of a magazine cover for your LinkedIn profile.
10. May you continue to obsess over expressing gratitude and appreciation. (Here is How Gratitude Makes You Even More Attractive.)
11. May you focus on the task at hand and just get it done.
12. May you hire a mariachi band if you feel stress coming on. (Read about that here.)
13. May you read at least 24 fascinating books. (Right now I’m into the Encyclopedia of the Exquisite.)
14. May your office invest in a tea trolley for the afternoons.
15. May you drink champagne not just on New Year’s Eve, but from time to time, just because.
If you didn’t get a chance to enjoy my beloved Top 8 Global Culture Tips, click here to download. It’s for you international types and it takes about 10 minutes to arrive to your inbox.
And while we’re talking about next year, here are some things I’m super excited about in January (and btw January is International Creativity Month.)
:: January 3 is J.R.R. Tolkein’s birthday (b. 1892.)
:: Taken 3 with the dashing Liam Neeson and his velvet voice, opens January 9.
:: Oscar nominations are January 15. (Eddie Redmayne has got to win Best Actor for his role in The Theory of Everything.)
:: January 24 is the Feast of St. Francis of Sales, patron saint of writers.
:: January 30 is…ta da… Communication for Project Managers in Charleston. (Early-bird pricing ends January 7.)