Are things a bit more calm for you today? I love this week of quiet. In anticipation of an extraordinary New Year, here are 17 things I wish for you in this next trip around the sun. (Links to recommended articles are in parentheses.)
1. May you choose a one-word theme to inspire you next year. (Powerful Lessons From Your Word of the Year, by my mentor, Christine Kane.)
My word for 2017 is elegance, inspired by this sparkling definition from researcher and author Rohit Bhargava: Being elegant is developing your ability to describe a concept in a beautiful and simple way for easy understanding.
3. May you become a better dancer. #goals Did you know that when you aim to get better at something, versus achieving a finite outcome, you’re more likely to achieve that outcome? I’m not sure how to measure my dance ability…I’ll keep you posted. 🙂
4. May you remain such an interesting person and keep doing (even more) interesting things. (23 Laws of Interesting)
On the topic of interesting, here’s a link to the No More Boring Presentations handbook.
5. May you attend a conference not of your industry. (I’m attending The Southern C Summit in February.)
6. May you throw a cocktail party for no special reason. (Of course be sure to invite me!)
8. May you ask, ask and ask for things, resources and raises because I know you deliver, deliver and deliver! (Asking shows confidence and confidence communicates value added.)
9. May you get a headshot that’s worthy of a Fast Company magazine cover for your LinkedIn profile. Excellent photographers in Charleston include Tanya Boggs and Arthur Ellis. Tanya Boggs took this one of me:
10. May you deeply engage audiences via new and imaginative ways to get your message across! (Make Your Message Stick Like Sap, a Sappy Song or Superglue and The Most Persuasive Word and What To Do When It Doesn’t Work.)
11. May you SAY NO to nonsense that drains your energy and keep you from focusing on what really matters to you.
12. May you hire a mariachi band if you feel bad vibes coming on. (Stress & Communication & When to Hire a Mariachi Band)
13. May you see some wonderful films. I look forward to these:
American Made September 27. Directed by Doug Liman, stars Tom Cruise and Lola Kirke.
Molly’s Game No date yet. Stars Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba and Kevin Costner.
Murder on the Orient Express November 22. Directed by Kenneth Branagh with lead Johnny Depp.
14. May you feel fully confident telling your boss ‘not now, dude’ when ambushed with an unexpected/untimely request. (Speaking Off the Cuff and Other Brain Freeze Moments and One Safety Tactic for an Office Ambush.
15. May you add more of your self to your work, which automatically makes you more visible and recommendable. (How to Be Your Own Luxury Brand)
17. May you acquire a taste for networking with imagination and thus connect with phenomenally fascinating people! (A Fresh Approach to Networking and 25 Imaginative Conversation Starters for Work) After you meet 5 new people, you can have fun bringing them together. (Fortune and Fun is in the Fabulous Follow up.)
What about you? What are you obsessing about in 2017?